Welcome to a new school year and band season! Below you’ll find important information about the band program, some dates to add to your calendars, and my contact information if you need to reach me for any reason.
Beginning Band: Mon & Wed 7:55- 8:55am
Beginning band is for any student playing an instrument for the first time.
We will work on the basics of playing an instrument and reading music. Please make arrangements to have an instrument/book/equipment by the first week of school in order to maximize practice time. If you need help securing an instrument, please contact me.
Intermediate Band: Wed & Fri 7:55- 8:55am
Intermediate band is for any student who has completed at least one year in a band program. We will work on advancing skills needed to play more challenging musical selections and to grow as young musicians.
Advanced Band: Tue & Thurs 7:55- 8:55am
Advanced band is by invitation only and is for students who have completed at least two years in a band program. Membership requirements involve scale selections and performance of a brief etude. Advanced band students will be playing music that is more challenging, and that will require extra practice on their part. Advanced Band will focus musicality and artistry as well as improving technique.
Interested in joining the band? A few things to consider:
- Band is open to all students 3rd grade or higher, no experience needed.
- It’s never too late to join the band!
- Practice practice practice… Schedule some time to practice almost every day.
- Private lessons are not necessary, but a great way to advance skills. You can ask about lessons at any music store. I also teach private lessons after school.
- If you are going to pick an instrument, please choose from the following:
- alto saxophone
- keyboard percussion (xylophone or bells)
- percussion (drums)
- piano (with minimum of 2 years experience)
Dates to Remember:
- NEW BAND MEMBERS: Choose one of the following time frames to come try instruments and get some important information. August 23rd from 12-2 pm or from 6-8 pm. This meeting is informal. You will need about 20 minutes to try some instruments, get some information about band and then you can leave.
- Christmas Concert: Wednesday December 15th 9:30am/ 7:00pm
- Spring Concert: Wednesday June 1st 9:30am/7:00pm
- Graduation: June 9th (Mandatory for Advanced Band members): 6:00 pm (rehearsal at 6pm , graduation at 7pm)
Thank you for your interest in the Ruffing band program. Please contact me with any questions, and please recommend our program to anyone you think might be interested.