Welcome to a new school year and band season! Below you’ll find important information about the band program, some dates to add to your calendars, and my contact information if you need to reach me for any reason.
Beginning Band: Mon & Wed 7:55am- 8:55am
Beginning band is for students just beginning to learn to play their instruments, with 2 years or less of experience. We will work on the basics of playing an instrument and reading music. We will do a lot of review in this group to create a solid foundation of musical skills. Please make arrangements to have an instrument/book/equipment by the first week of school in order to maximize practice time. If you need help securing an instrument, please contact me.
Advanced Band: Tue & Thurs 7:55am- 8:55am
Advanced band is by invitation only and is for students who have ideally completed at least two years in a band program or who have entered into the 6th grade with one year of experience. Membership requirements involve a brief musical evaluation to ensure members have the skills needed to perform on an advanced level. Advanced band students will be playing music that is more challenging and that will require extra practice on the part of the student. Advanced Band will focus on musicality and artistry as well as improving technique.
Interested in joining the band? A few things to consider:
- Band is open to all students 3rd grade or higher, no experience needed.
- It’s never too late to join the band!
- Practice practice practice… Schedule some time to practice at home several times a week.
- Private lessons are not necessary, but a great way to advance skills. You can ask about lessons at any music store. I also teach private lessons after school on Wednesday and Thursday.
- If you are going to pick an instrument, please choose from the following:
- alto saxophone
- keyboard percussion (xylophone or bells)
- percussion (drums)
Dates to Remember:
- NEW BAND MEMBERS: If you have not chosen an instrument and want to try the different kinds of instruments available I will be in the music room on August 17, 2022 from 3pm-6pm. This is an informal meeting. You will need about 30 minutes to try some instruments, get some information about the band and then you can leave.
- Christmas Concert: December 14, 2022
- Spring Concert: May 31, 2023
- Graduation: (Mandatory for Advanced Band members): June 8, 2023 6:00 pm (rehearsal at 6pm , graduation at 7pm)
Thank you for your interest in the Ruffing band program. Please contact me with any questions, and please recommend our program to anyone you think might be interested.