Welcome to a new school year and band season!
Below you’ll find important information about the band program, some dates to add to your calendars, and my contact information if you need to reach me for any reason.
Interested in joining the band? A few things to consider:
- Band is open to all students 3rd grade or higher, no experience needed.
- It’s never too late to join the band!
- Practice practice practice… Schedule some time to practice at home several times a week.
- Private lessons are not necessary, but a great way to advance skills. You can ask about lessons at any music store. I also teach private lessons after school on Wednesday and Thursday.
- If you are going to pick an instrument, please choose from the following:
- alto saxophone
- keyboard percussion (xylophone or bells)
- percussion (drums)
- If you have not chosen an instrument and want to try the different kinds of instruments available, I will be in the music room on August 16, 2023 from 3pm-6pm and August 17, 2023 from 12pm-2pm.
- If you want to purchase or rent an instrument, you can inquire at any local music store like Rettig or Skyline. I can also help you locate a quality used instrument, or test an instrument you may already have in the family. Please DO NOT buy cheap instruments from websites like Amazon or Walmart etc… they are cheap for a reason… they are junk. If money is a concern, you are better off buying a quality used instrument versus a junk new instrument. No quality instrument will be less than $250 new, but $250 can go a long way towards a nice used instrument.
NEW BAND MEMBER SCHEDULE
This schedule is for New Band members only, for the FIRST TWO WEEKS of school only.
- WED 8/23 8am FLUTES
- THURS 8/24 8am CLARINETS & ALTO SAXOPHONES
- FRI 8/25 8am TRUMPETS & BARITONES
- MON 8/28 8am PERCUSSION & KEYBOARD PERCUSSION
- TUES 8/29 8am FLUTES
- WED 8/30 8am CLARINETS & ALTO SAXOPHONES
- THURS 8/31 8am TRUMPETS & BARITONES
- FRI 9/1 8am 8am PERCUSSION & KEYBOARD PERCUSSION
- WED 9/6 8am normal band schedule begins. Beginning band is every Monday and Wednesday
RETURNING BAND MEMBERS
Welcome back! Please register via the online band portal ASAP. All returning band members will begin rehearsal AFTER Labor Day. The first two weeks of school are for new members only.
- If your student was in Beginning Band last year, they will continue to be in Beginning Band this year unless they were invited to join the Advanced group. Ideally, I prefer that students spend at least 2 years in Beginning Band. This ensures they have a solid musical foundation and fully understand the material before moving on to Advanced Band. Sometimes exceptions are made based on age and ability.
- Please make sure to order anything you may need before the first rehearsal. For example, reeds, valve oil, drum sticks, books. reach out if you have any questions.
- All rehearsals will begin at 8am SHARP! Please arrive 10-15 minutes early to allow time to set up and get seated before 8am.
- Advanced Band is Tuesday/Thursday and will resume rehearsals on 9/5/23. First note will be at 8am.
- Beginning Band is Monday/Wednesday and will resume rehearsals on 9/6/23. First note will be at 8am.
FORMER BAND MEMBERS
- You are always welcome to rejoin the band. We miss you!
- Please let me know if you have an instrument you no longer use that you would like to sell to a new member. I will help you coordinate this.
- If you still have your music book and wish to donate it as a spare for us to use, please drop it off in the music room.
Thank you for your interest in the Ruffing band program. Please contact me with any questions, and please recommend our program to anyone you think might be interested.