Band Information and Sign-Ups
Ruffing is fortunate to have the talented Lauren Frank as its Band Director! If you have any questions that are not answered below, please feel free to contact Lauren at firstname.lastname@example.org or (330) 883-8090.
Interested in joining the band?
A few things to consider:
● Band is open to all students 2nd grade or higher, no experience needed.
● Practice practice practice! Schedule some time to practice almost every day.
● Private lessons are not necessary, but a great way to advance skills. You can
inquire about lessons at any music store. I also teach lessons after school.
● if you are going to pick an instrument, please choose from the following:
- alto saxophone
- keyboard percussion (xylophone or bells)
- percussion (drums)
- bass guitar
Please fill out the form below by WED. SEPTEMBER 5, 2018.
Monday and Wednesday 7:55-8:55am
**See the August/September calendar at the end of page for dates and times for beginners
Beginning band is for any student playing an instrument for the first time. We will work on the basics of playing an instrument and reading music. Please make arrangements to have an instrument by the first week of school in order to maximize practice time. If you need help securing an instrument, please contact me for help. Book needed: “Essential Elements 2000 Book 1” (for your specific instrument).
Wednesday and Friday 7:55-8:55am
Intermediate band is for any student who has completed at least one year in a band program, but is not quite ready to audition for advanced band. We will work on advancing skills needed to play more challenging musical selections and to grow as young musicians. Book needed: “Essential Elements 2000 Book 1” (for your specific instrument).
Tuesday and Thursday 7:55-8:55am
Advanced band is by audition only and is for students who have completed at least two years in a band program. Auditions will involve scale selections and a brief etude.
Advanced band students will be playing music that is more challenging, and that will require extra practice on their part. Advanced Band will focus musicality and artistry as well as improving technique. Book needed: “Essential Elements 2000 Book 2” (for your specific instrument).
*Auditions will be on 8/23 & 8/24 from 8:00-9:00 am. Prepare a brief except from your book to perform. Advanced band students who previously auditioned can waive their audition requirement by volunteering 2 days (1 hour per day) to help the beginners during the week of 8/27-8-31 or any Monday in September. Try to come on the day assigned to your specific instrument.
Dates to Remember
- NEW BAND MEMBERS : Choose one of the following time frames to come try instruments and get some important information. August 21st from 12-2:30 pm or August 22nd from 6-8:30 pm . This meeting is informal. You will need about 20 minutes to try some instruments, get some information about band and then you can leave.
- Holiday Concert: Tuesday December 18th 9:30am/7:00pm
- Spring Concert: Wednesday May 29th 9:30am/7:00pm
- Graduation: June 6th (Mandatory for Advanced Band members): 6:00 pm (rehearsal at 6pm , graduation at 7pm)
- Just a heads up, when we get to the week before the concerts I might request that students come in for an extra practice on a day that is not their usual practice day. We often combine groups to perform a larger, more exciting group song and need a day to practice together. I will notify you via email at least two weeks in advance.
August/September Band Calendar
Click here for Band Calendar.